The Wise Debit Card is linked to a multi-currency account that allows you to convert to over 40 currencies at the current exchange rate.
You can use the card for online and in-person purchases, and you can also use it for cash withdrawals from ATMs worldwide. It’s a convenient solution for frequent travelers that want to get the best exchange rates possible.
Our Wise Card Review
We were very intrigued by the Wise Debit Card when we heard about it and just had to give it a try.
So far, we’ve used it in Japan and Thailand with no issues. It’s easy to transfer between currencies, it has great rates, and reasonable fees.
Shawn with his Wise Card
This Is How We Do It
We start by transferring money into our account from our bank. There is a small fee to transfer money from our bank into our Wise account.
Then we open a new currency account on the mobile application. We have US Dollars, Japanese Yen, and Thai Baht.
Once the money shows up in the Wise app, we transfer it into either the Japanese Yen account or the Thai Baht account; depending on where we are, or where we’re going.
The timing of our transfers depends on how we think the market is doing. When the US Dollar is strong against the currency, we transfer all or a good portion of it. However, we only transfer a little at a time if the US Dollar is weak to the currency we want.
If we forget to transfer money, and we use our card, it automatically transfers the money at the current exchange rate. There is an additional fee for this service.
We can use it as an ATM card or as a direct debit card, wherever MasterCard is accepted. So far, it’s been the most convenient way to access our money while traveling.
Benefits of the Wise Debit Card
- No hidden fees: As a Wise cardholder, we don’t have to worry about hidden fees or markups on foreign currency exchanges.
- Multi-currency support: The card supports spending and withdrawals in over 40 currencies, so we only need one card for purchases and cash withdrawals.
- Real-time notifications: We also get real-time notifications on our phone for every transaction, allowing us to keep track of our spending.
- Contactless payments: The Wise Debit Card also supports contactless payments, making it quick and easy to make small purchases.
- Acceptance worldwide: The card can be used at millions of locations worldwide, wherever MasterCard is accepted.
In addition to these benefits, the Wise Card is also secure and backed by Wise’s Fraud Detection team, who monitor transactions 24/7 to prevent unauthorized access.
Is the Wise Card Safe?
Wise uses multiple security measures to protect your accounts and personal information. They use secure encryption, two-factor authentication, and 24-hour fraud monitoring.
The Wise Debit Card is also protected by MasterCard’s zero liability policy, which protects you from unauthorized transactions made with the card.
As with any financial service, it’s important to be cautious when using any card and to take steps to protect your personal information and funds. We suggest you regularly monitor transactions and promptly report any suspicious activity.
How to Get Started
- Order the card: You can order the Wise Debit Card through the Wise app or website. Once your order is placed, the card will be delivered to you in the mail.
- Activate the card: Activate it through the Wise app once you receive the card. You’ll need to enter the activation code found on the card and complete the verification process. This needs to be done before you leave. You must activate the card in your home country.
- Fund your account: You’ll have to add funds to your Wise account to use it. You can do this by transferring money from your linked bank account or by using a debit or credit card.
- Use the card: Once your account is funded, you can start using the Wise Debit Card to make purchases or withdraw cash at ATMs worldwide. The card automatically converts your funds into the currency of the country you’re in, using the real exchange rate, with no markup.
- Monitor transactions: You can monitor your spending and account balance through the Wise app, where you’ll also receive real-time notifications for every transaction.
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this article. This means that if you make a purchase after clicking on these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. We have no association with the companies or the products reviewed. These are our own opinions of top travel products.